[Papyrus-L] Papyrus and Win2000

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 1 13:52:02 EDT 2001

At 09:39 AM 8/1/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi experts!
>
>This is a little off topic but I'm sure there is someone out there that can
>help. I'm running Papyrus under Windows 2000 as the very last of any DOS
>program, so this might be typical for all DOS applications, I don't know. It
>seems that Windows2000 starts a virtual DOS environment to run Papyrus and
>this application (NTVDM.EXE) is chewing up basically all my resources. All
>other Windows applications run at the same time are becoming extremely slow.
>Papyrus (or better NTVDM.EXE) takes up about 97% of the CPU time! There must
>be a way to set priorities down a little or something.

I also run under Windows 2000.  I hadn't noticed it, but you're absolutely
right - task manager is indicating very heavy use of CPU by ntvdm.exe.  At
the same time, there must be some sort of priority setting, since I'm able
to use Papyrus with other applications (including e-mail and word
processing) without particularly noticing what was going on under the hood.
But I do echo your wishes about the Windows version - if for no other
reason than being able to read long file names!
Cheers
Raisa Deber

>Does anybody have any suggestions (except convincing David to finally finish
>the Windows version)???
>
>Thanks for your help
>

>Rene

>Dipl. Biol. Rene Hessling
>Universitaet Osnabrueck
>Spezielle Zoologie
>Barbarastr. 11
>D-49069 Osnabrueck
>Germany
>
>Tel. ++49-541-969-2859
>Fax. ++49-541-969-2587
>http://www.biologie.uni-osnabrueck.de/speziellezoologie/Hessling/index.html

Raisa B. Deber, PhD
Professor
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, 2nd Floor
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8