[Papyrus-L] The Last Stand!!

Steven Youmans syoumans at iris.nyit.edu
Thu Mar 22 17:21:22 EST 2001

Pat,

I've run into the same problem you have with Papyrus indicating that a document
is an "OLE2 compound document" and can't be opened, when trying to do a Text
Extract on Word documents.  The problem seems to lie with Papyrus' reading of
directory/file names, and possibly with the depth of directory trees.

On one occasion, it turned out that one of my directories/folders had the same
name as the file being run, and renaming the directory or file cured the
problem.

On another occasion, a somewhat different name situation turned up.  The file I
was trying to extract was named "JEB2000j.doc".  It happened that in the same
directory I had another file named "JEB2000.doc".  Eventually, I figured out
that Papyrus detected those two files as linked documents because of the
identity of the first part of the names.  While working this out, I contacted
Dave, who suggested that I try using the "Save As..." option in Word to resave
the document under a new name.  Initially I renamed the file "JExpBiol.doc", but
Extract still wouldn't run.  It turned out that I had still another file in that
same directory named "JExpBiolsample.doc", so I had inadvertently created
another situation where the first characters of the two names were identical.
When I realized this, I changed the name into something completely different, so
the new name didn't start with the same characters as some other file, and it
ran like a charm, as per Dave's suggestion.  Be aware though that Papyrus
apparantly can detect two file names (and/or folder names) that begin with the
same string of characters as linked OLE documents.  Even though the file names
are not identical.  Dave, if I've misrepresented something here, feel free to
correct me.

More recently, I ran into the OLE document message again when neither of the
above situations applies, as far as I can see.  This time I was working with a
file in an unusually "deep" directory tree (many levels), and to get away from
possibly undetected problems with similarities in the initial characters of file
or directory names I copied the file to be extracted (.doc file) to a temporary
location in a shallower (preferably empty) directory, closer to the root
directory.  There, text extract ran fine and generated the ".new" file.  Then I
copied the .doc and .new files back to the original directory and deleted the
files in the temporary location.  This is an inconvenience, but a minor one, and
I suspect that this ruse will cure all the "OLE document" problems.

By the way, I've run into the OLE document message both in Word 97 and 2000.

Hope this helps.

Steve Youmans

Dept. Physiology
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York Institute of Medicine
Old Westbury, New York
USA