[Papyrus-L] papyrus on a Palm

Valerie Porter porte030 at tc.umn.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:48:48 EST 2001

Peter,

At your suggestion I downloaded the demo version of HanDBase and was
pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to use. I have put my full papyrus
database close to 1000 references complete with abstracts on my palm pilot
for ease of reference wherever I am!!! I can search easily, display and copy
subsets of references; add comments while reading a paper and I have added
checkboxes for things like whether I have the paper copy on file or not. All
this at my fingertips and it doesn't even take up a full 2MB of the 8MB on
my Palm Vx!!!!

I exported the refs from papyrus in a modified version of the comma format,
then opened the file in excel, with a quick excel macro opened the file
removed the headerlines  sorted the references (to remove blank lines),
added new column headings (which would become field headings) and resaved
the file in .csv format. I then opened this file in the desktop version of
HanDBase and after a few tweaks uploaded the entire thing to my Palm Pilot.
I still have a few bugs to workout in the return pathway ie getting the
comments added on the Palm pilot into my papyrus database, without loosing
fields that I did not bother to download to the Palm- such as keywords. I'll
have to hit the Papyrus manual to see if that is possible.

Thanks for your suggestions, my life has just got a whole lot more
mobile!!!!!! I am totally going to register and pay the bargain price of $25
for HanDBase it is a great companion to my palm pilot - I can think of all
sorts of other uses for it too!

Valerie