[NHRC-user] NHRC-PXP Programmer

Jeff Otterson jeff at nhrc.net
Wed Sep 22 21:55:24 EDT 2004

Hi,
   Earlier this year, I sent the message reproduced below to ask if there
was interest in a Phoenix SX Radio Programmer from NHRC.

   We got enough interest that we decided to build some of these products
for sale.  We are running a small batch of these to "test the water".

   This message is being sent to the NHRC-User list, with a blind copy to
each person who replied that they were interested.  Please forgive me if
you got two copies.

   We are planning to ship some NHRC-PXP programmers in November.  This is
a complete solution, including a programmer pod that attaches to your
computers serial port, and Windows-based software that will allow you to
create radio programs for Phoenix SX, Phoenix SX Scan.

   Since February's query, we have added support for high-band and UHF
Delta SX (but not for the "downloading" heads), and have another program
that allows you to use the NHRC-PXP programmer pod to write both raw and
Niles format files.

   We expect we will be able to support low-band Delta SX and all bands of
RANGR in the future.  We need to do more testing in these areas.

   The price for the NHRC-PXP hardware and Windows software will be $179.

   See http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-pxp for more details.

   Regards,

   Jeff Otterson
   NHRC LLC

---cut---
Hi,

    We stopped work on our Phoenix SX programmer project in early 2002
because we were not sure we could actually sell them.  Radio programmers
and the computer software that support them are not part of our core
business, and we did not think that the market was large enough to justify
our investment.

    The NHRC-PXP (that's what we called the Phoenix SX programmer) is a
complete product, with Windows software for Phoenix SX and Phoenix SX scan
radios, and a programmer "pod" that connects to the computer via a RS-232
interface.  The pod will work standalone to duplicate radio EEPROMs without
the computer, and  can read, write, edit and save radio programs when used
with its Windows software.

    The PXP software only supports Phoenix SX and Phoenix SX scan radios.  I
suppose we could build support for other 2212 based radios if 1) we had
some and 2) we knew how to program them.  The pod can copy any 2212
regardless of data.

    You can consider this message a "fishing expedition."  We are curious
what the interest would be if we should decide to make a run of PC
boards.  How many people would buy one, and what kind of price the market
would bear.  Please be aware that we actually have a significant investment
(mostly software) in this thing, and we expect the volume to be low, which
means that it is not going to be cheap.

    Here is more information about the NHRC-PXP, including screen shots and
beta-test versions of the Windows software:
<http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-pxp/index.php>http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-pxp/index.php
This web page is not indexed on our site.  Please do not link to it.

    You may reproduce this message as you see fit.

    Jeff