[NHRC-user] New

Doug Bade dbade at clecom.com
Thu Jul 22 08:34:35 EDT 2004

         It sounds like you may have 2 audio paths through the repeater
enabled.

         Is this a repeater station with repeater control cards still in
it? They need to be removed from "parallel" function if they are.. in
general an echo would require some form of feedback loop or out of sync or
redundant parallel audio path. I have seen this in a Mastr II station which
still had audio cards ( even 2 or 4 wire audio) in it with a controller
attached... ends up with 2 paths from the rx to the tx being "open" and
only one under the control of the controller.

         In general all of the NHRC repeater controllers should be able to
absolutely mute audio in its (their) realm other than the short burst which
occurs before it is determined to be DTMF, which that case is supposed to
be masked by the audio delay board. All NHRC controllers I have used to
date block muted audio absolutely, if connected correctly..

         For what  it is worth, I have considered pulling the mute gate
audio control off the controller and using it to control the Mastr II
station audio gate circuit and use the factory Mastr II audio, as I have
always found the factory audio path through its own boards to be superior
to any audio processing done by ANY external controller, including all the
commercial ones...Using the NHRC as a audio control gate, with cw/voice
overlay on tx audio would yield the best of both worlds... This is
especially true of Mastr IIe and Mastr III which have DSP audio
processors... no offense to the NHRC folks, but in this case the factory
does do it better.....BUT !!!!!!! the factory audio does still need to be
controlled to mute things like DTMF..... a annoying twist... :-)

         Some very small mods to the controllers to allow this easily might
make some of us commercial guys even start using them more in single tone
commercial systems for customers, instead of just throwing in a cw id'er...
This last couple lines are not real germane to the specific question, but
more to the designers as a possible alternate option for interface. If
there is author interest, I would be glad to detail my interest more
concisely...if I did not explain it clearly...

         I have heard some statistics that something like over 50% of all
amateur repeaters are Mastr II variants these days, that being said, as a
target market, there are a couple nice "minor" adaptations in the
interconnection which might be worth considering...as new optional
connection methods.

I will be quiet now... :-)
73,
Doug