[LAP-news] letter for NY to mandate swimming from Shawn

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:42:56 EST 2022

Link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQxDupOyrqNocUcRZ9iRjGZjiJPuvFmc5sWRgAIg5Bqbtd-Q/viewform

Text:
I've invited you to fill out a form. Pls share with other members of our
group. We are creating a push to support this legislature from now thru end
of session in June. Help us get this passed. TY!!
Sign on letter: Mandating water safety education in schools
We are reaching out on behalf of the Rockaway Water Safety Coalition to
urge you to sign the attached letter mandating water safety education in
New York State schools. Not all young people in New York State have access
to water safety education. This inequity of knowledge costs lives -
according to the CDC, “one in five people who die from drowning are
children 14 and younger. For every child who dies from drowning another
five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries”.

Our local Rockaway elected officials have sponsored New York State Bills
S.2207//A.728, reading:

“Requires water safety instruction in schools; provides that such age
appropriate instruction shall include, but not be limited to, the proper
use of flotation devices, awareness of water conditions, how to respond if
caught in a rip current, the proper supervision of swim areas, safe
behaviors in and around the water, the importance of pool barriers and
fencing, the importance of formal swim lessons, the importance of avoiding
alcohol and substance use with water recreation, the importance of
cardiopulmonary resuscitation for drowning victims and the importance of
the order of administering such aid.” - Senators Joseph Addabbo (sponsor)
and James Sanders (co-sponsor) and AM Stacey Pheffer Amato (sponsor)

Please add your group’s signature to support this initiative by filling out
the form below.

Our coalition was formed in early 2021 with the purpose of making water
safety education an essential right for all, to save lives and to create a
more inclusive water recreation community, with a focus initially in the
Rockaways. If your organization would like to get involved, please check
out this intake survey

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdesfqj4u8YCyh_4lrYt5TvyGNASCYiL6Y-xFziyZmdrFiGsw/viewform?gxids=7628
.

Individuals living in NY State can also take action via this action alert

https://bit.ly/watersafetyNY

Email *
Name *
Email *
Organization Name (as you would like it to appear on the letter) *
I am authorized to sign on behalf of my organization. This letter is for
organization sign-on only. See above for a link to take action as an
individual *