[Coco] There was a CoCo 3 update to Zaxxon! Before Z-89

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Mar 20 21:41:23 EDT 2024

> On Mar 20, 2024, at 8:11 PM, John Riddle via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> He had also talked about creating something called the Color Computer
> Preservation Society (CocoPS), but I don't think it really came into
> fruition.

Ah, yes! That’s an idea that didn’t continue due to my disorganization. From the old website, last updated in 1999:

--
Of course, the community as a whole is responsible for the direction CoCoPS takes, but to see that it gets driven correctly are the following co-pilots:

Allen Huffman - Known for his involvement with Sub-Etha Software from 1990 to 1995, as well as owning a CoCo since 1982, Allen sees that articles are collected and assembled. Many of you may know him from his CoCoFest reports which get uploaded to online services everywhere usually within days after the event.

Rick Cooper - The Kentucky teacher who has been supporting the CoCo for longer than just about anyone else still around is in charge of collecting money and doing the printing and distribution of the final product. His previous experience with "Rick's Computer Friends Magazine" ensures this will be no problem.

Scott Griepentrog - Creator of the infamous StG-Net CoCo OS-9 BBS package, which was a very internet-ish networked system (back before most of us had ever even heard of the internet, and certainly before it was popular), Scott brings along experience from his own publication "The OSKer".

Steve Bjork - While Steve is known for his countless game programs for the CoCo, as well as his hardware skills (Steve invented the Tandy Hi-Res Joystick Interface), he currently acts as editor for "E-Tech News and Review" which is a gadget lover's bonanza of great "fun" information. Steve will act as an overseer and material reviewer.
---

Hmm, the archive only has two copies:

https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Magazines/COCOPS/

#1 is missing, and I don’t have a PDF or anything of that, so I’ll have to see if I have a scan somewhere.

> There was some controversy at that Fest about Steve charging $5 for copies
> of some of his games he brought.  I don't remember specific details.  I
> don't think that was unreasonable.  Had to have cost him a good bit of
> money to fly across the country to come to the fest.

I don’t recall that, but I bet it was “you didn’t pay for a booth so you shouldn’t be allowed to sell stuff!”

At the very first 1990 Atlanta CoCoFest there was a person there talking to everyone on the floor, inviting us up to their room to see some CoCo expansion device. I didn’t want to go up to the room of a stranger (it was my first fest, everything was weird and a bit overwhelming to me) but I gather that kind of stuff happened a lot — folks who couldn’t or did not want to spend money for the booth, doing business at the fest.

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware