[Coco] There was a CoCo 3 update to Zaxxon! Before Z-89

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Mar 20 15:44:58 EDT 2024

That's a very interesting "find" by Roger - and I'm glad it's him and
not me going thru all of that (what little I've done in the past was
more than enough - though I still need to get back to my personal disk
image re-archive project - sigh); he's probably far better for this task
(plus, I had no way to bid on the lot anyhow - and I think my wife
would've killed me had I somehow managed to try - lol).

Anyhow - what's strange about this particular revision is that it still
looks like it is a 4-color screen? Is it our general "PMODE 4" screen
with a different palette (definitely different colors than that mode)?
Or is it some 4-color CoCo 3 mode (maybe one of the non-BASIC modes)? Or
is it an actual 16-color mode, but only using 4 colors?

All speculation from me; Roger would know best, of course - but still,
it doesn't look like 16-colors to me (just red, blue, white, and black)?
That doesn't mean it wasn't in a mode to allow additional colors, but
without seeing the source code (or a disassembly - but those "ASM" files
seem like they are some kind of source code for something, since they
are in ASCII format on the disk), all we (except for Roger, maybe) can
go on is what the disks "say" (label?)...

Even so - just the fact that we have something is quite enough, though
it would be interesting to know where this code fits in the "timeline"?
Did it happen prior to say, 1992? Or after?

Or was it before Steve "dropped out" of the community (details of which
I'm still not very clear about, but I know it had something to do with
speculation on what a CoCo 4 should or could be, his efforts to "create"
such a thing, whatever that meant, and his giving up on all of it
because of...and that's where it gets a bit fuzzy to me - but maybe I'm
completely daft on the whole thing).

Or did he dabble with this after that point?

Or maybe - as mentioned - it was just a precursor to Z-89 (a game I
don't think I've played...yet - but I do recall its release and review
in the Rainbow)...

This is all a bit exciting to me, though I wish it had been something he
had done of his own accord, and not by others after his
passing...because we can only speculate on what he really would have wanted.

...and given what I do recall about that prior flame-out with the
community - I have this feeling - which is again, just unfounded
speculation - that he kinda "disowned us", for whatever reason - but
never updated his will - maybe always saying he'd "get 'round to it" -
something I suspect we all do. I know I do, as I've already mentioned
earlier about my own darn project(s)!

Regardless, I'm excited to see what comes next (much as I'm waiting for
more info to come out about both the "CoCo 3 Prototype Board", and the
"GIME decapping" research, though I suspect I'll be holding my breath on
those until the day I die myself).

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona
phoenixgarage.org