[Coco] There was a CoCo 3 update to Zaxxon! Before Z-89

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Mar 19 22:46:17 EDT 2024

Roger Taylor is going through the Bjork disks trying to carefully archive them. He has been trying to stay focused on getting all the disks properly imaged. He’s using some software I don’t understand, which shows graphical representations of the data on the disk and errors and such.

But every now and then, he finds something he has to look at…

https://www.patreon.com/posts/100701156?utm_campaign=postshare_fan

Apparently, Steve updated his 1983 Zaxxon to run on a CoCo 3 using a 16-color mode. The title screen now has the Zaxxon Arcade logo instead of just text, and the game runs faster. We can only speculate on what this was … perhaps he planned to have it released as an official licensed Zaxxon update… Maybe it was just a test, and he decided it made more sense to write a dedicated CC3 version. Ultimately, he did that, but it was not an official Zaxxon.

Between this, and someone discovering his CoCo 3 compatible Audio Spectrum Analyzer on ROM paks sold by Radio Shack later, maybe these were all destined to be Radio Shack things?
--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware