[Coco] what is the official Nitros-9 repo now ?

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Thu Jan 25 01:43:34 EST 2024

The most up to date code is at
<https://github.com/nitros9project/nitros9>, using Git.

Fair warning though, I am currently in the middle of rewriting history
in a side repository such that all the source code and all the commits
will still be there, but each commit is being (very very carefully)
reformatted into the smallest possible form that will allow everyone
to have the code formatted the way they like it, while keeping the
code in the repository in this standard format, which will also be
used for disk images because the standard format uses up a lot less
disk space than more friendly ones.

On checkout, the code will run through a formatter that you control
the settings for, and when you commit, it will pass through a "clean"
filter that has no settings (because its output always looks the
same). We're working on an easy way to set up your checkout to have
these filters run automatically.

I didn't want to overly publicize the new repo while I was working on
this project, because history rewrites can be very annoying.

Incidentally, the 'standard' assembly format will look like this:

* comment
MyLabel lda #'a comment
 lbra function comment

Rather than the more typical:

* comment
Mylabel   lda       #'a                 comment
          lbra      function            comment

All those spaces, it turns out, make the source use up a lot of space,
sometimes even enough to not fit on a floppy disk image. Some people
might recognize the top form, it's the one Microware used when they
wrote OS-9 in the first place. But fear not, we do have a filter
script that is able to produce the more 'normal' formats people use by
choice, while the 'clean' filter is able to turn it back into the tiny
form.