[Coco] Choosing a Replacement printers

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Thu Jun 22 13:41:28 EDT 2023

On 6/22/23 02:05, Jeff Teunissen via Coco wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 6:00 PM David B via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just my 2 cents...  I'm a "proud" owner of an HP inkjet, but when/if I need
>> another, I'll probably go with Brother.  One guy I follow on rumble is dead
>> against HP, and I tend to agree with him.  HP is dead bent on making
>> everyone go with subscriptions and I suspect they may be able to make a
>> cartridge stop working any time they want to.  I know that my cartridges
>> stop working and it shows the cartridge to be about half full.  I, like the
>> online guy, don't do much printing and thought the ink might be drying
>> out.  He went with a Brother laser printer.
>
> Yep, I'm pretty high on the Brother laser printers because:
> 1. They support PostScript directly, so work great as a network
> printer for Unix-style machines,
> 2. don't try to make my toner cartridge not work, and
> 3. even the all-in-one stuff works in Linux _using standard Linux tools_.
>
> Plus the prints look pretty great, as you would expect from any modern printer.

I've got a simple one side Brother laser printer from 2000 does have a bit of
trouble picking up sheets so I have to hand feed it. Still works.

Another MFC Brother does double side (although Windows doesn't seem to want
to do that< Linux is fine). Same feed issue.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       kd2zrq at linuxha.com
Author of:    	Linux Smart Homes For Dummies   KD2ZRQ