[Coco] CoCopedia MM/1 entry.

David B db388696 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 17:00:36 EDT 2023

On Sat, Jun 3, 2023 at 8:45 AM Allen Huffman via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com>
wrote:

> > On Jun 3, 2023, at 8:36 AM, L. Curtis Boyle via Coco <
> coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> > Pretty sure Delmar’s System IV and V sold more than that as well,
> although I don’t really know for sure in that case.
>
> The Delmar systems were not targeting CoCo folks, were they? I had thought
> they were just an OS-9 vendor with a system that they found a market for in
> our community. We had the G-Windows guy visit us at Microware at one point.
> It was a neat system — even had a Windows 95 look you could turn on. It was
> quite impressive and would have been a great desktop hobbyist UI, though
> not compatible with any legacy OS-9 L2 stuff.

The Delmar products were 68k machines built around Frederic's boards.  I
have a System 5 (CDS68020).  I believe Michael Evenson has at least two.  I
had purchased mine hoping that we might develop a viable desktop machile,
but it never came to pass.  One drawback was that Microware had no interest
in promoting a user base and was strictly interested in a business model -
I guess you know all about that, Allen.

When I received my system and set it up, I believe the first command I
entered was "dir"..  Being used to the speed of the Coco (Real Coco - circa
1994), it simply blew my mind how quickly the (text) screen filled.

G-Windows was a very neat interface.  I have the development system for it,
but never got around to doing much with it.  AFAIK, there are practically
no apps for it besides some games and demos.  It is a tiny bit slow, but is
handy if you are doing program development, for example, and you want to
have multiple windows open at one time where you can run your text editor,
have a window for building the program, and maybe one or two more for other
things.  Regarding the speed, there could be some improvements made.  For
example, if you run "less", if you do a page down, for example, it scrolls
line by line.  If it could clear the screen and fill the screen top down,
it would greatly improve matters.  I'd say this would be a problem with the
"less" app rather than with G-Windows itself.