[Coco] chess

salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 14 14:34:41 EDT 2023

First, I congratulate you on having a great idea during the night. I once
had a brilliant idea during the night. I quickly jotted it down so I
wouldn't forget it. The next morning, I had a look at my notes and the only
thing I wrote was "hamburger".

Moving on to your idea. Having exclusive communication between two CoCos has
many practical uses. The game of chess is only one. Yes, a terminal program
could be used, but what if instead of the modem, the program communicates
via the serial port, connected to a network dongle? This has the advantage
of not using the telephone line (and hopefully avoiding family members
yelling at us).

For example, The DriveWire protocol already does this in some ways. It can
either use a serial connection, or a network connection to connect the CoCo
(or emulator) to the host PC. Salvador.