[Coco] CoCo 2 (Video)

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Thu Jan 26 18:48:11 EST 2023

My Switch-a-roo from CoComan arrived today. It took me a few tries to get it working, but it is money well spent.

I didn’t get video at first due to several mistakes. I think the SCART-to-HDMI adapter was switched incorrectly for HDMI input, and I incorrectly connected the composite line into the RF output of the CoCo. After playing around a few moments it came up. A few sparkles on the screen went away once I selected NTSC format.

Switched to RGB, I have a great picture. Even at width80 everything is nice and sharp - just as I remember on the CM-8 monitor! Absolutely amazing to see my CoCo displayed on my VGA monitor and to hear the sound coming out of my stereo speakers. (Okay, I need to work on getting that sound on both channels now…)

If I switch over to CMP the picture isn’t so great, but much better than anything I’ve had before. Text is very legible. I may try recapping the CoCo3 to see if I can improve this, but it is acceptable if I am just interested in playing games. I need to find a test for artifacting.

The inverted video poke works fine. But everything went south when I turned off the color burst. That poor adapter just couldn’t make sense of the signal, I guess. Easy to fix, and I won’t do that again...

I am interested in those cables/connectors - just to see the difference. I’ve spent a bit too much on this already, so don’t want to be buying yet another CoCo. Thanks, though.

I have one of the CoCoSDCs from RetroRewind coming in. It’s a blind buy, so I don’t know if it is any different than other SDCs sold. Once that’s in, I’ll be able to run programs again without having to resort to cassette. I do have floppy drives, but I don’t remember where I stored my disks.