[Coco] CoCo 1/2 arrow keys versus CoCo 3 arrow keys

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Sat Jan 14 16:18:39 EST 2023

There were no diodes on the CoCo keyboard? Makes sense on the membrane keyboards. I guess I never thought about it. I thought I saw them on the CoCo1 keyboard, though.

I’m repairing synthesizers these days, and matrixes play a large part in them, so I find this interesting since my memory of the TRS-80 is something that I do think back to. Every button is in a matrix, and the keys are in their own. (12 columns!) In order to play a chord, several keys will be pressed, (each with a diode,) so there can be no confusion over which keys are pressed. I will read your post.

From my understanding, the keyscan routine would set one row to high with the rest set to low. Then you would read the byte across the columns. A one in any bit would correspond to the key in that row. Then proceed to the next row. Without diodes, I think you could create a circuit through the keyboard that would short one column with another if enough keys were pressed...