[Coco] CoCo 1/2 arrow keys versus CoCo 3 arrow keys

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Jan 14 15:20:15 EST 2023

Interesting. Rampage used more of a CoCo 1/2 layout for keyboard controls. Per the manual:

https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Manuals/Games/Rampage (Tandy).pdf <https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Manuals/Games/Rampage%20(Tandy).pdf>

…you could use ALT for up, CTRL for down, and “<“ for left and “>” for right.

OR, you could use “1” for UP, “2” for DOWN, “3” for LEFT and “4” for RIGHT. What is that based on?

Gantlet II has a few choices as well:

https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Manuals/Games/Gantelet%202%20(Diecom%20Products%20Inc).pdf

ALT / CTRL for Up/Down and LEFT/RIGHT arrows. (CoCo 1/2 style)

ALT / CTRL for Up/Down and “S” for left and “D” for right. (Left side of keyboard)

RIGHT / “;” for Up/Down and LEFT/RIGHT arrows. (Right side of keyboard)

I guess I never really looked at too many CoCo 3 games using the keyboard, but it seems developers continued to use the CoCo 1/2 style layout, even official games form Tandy.

		— A