[Coco] Question

Alex Evans varmfskii at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 11:29:50 EST 2023

On Sun, Jan 1, 2023 at 6:56 PM mcnd96 via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> Hello!I just got the CoCo SDC and want to start transferring my CoCo files
> from disk to SDC.I don't have a MPI.  Is the easiest way to get one or is
> there another way?

A real answer depends on what hardware you have or are interested in
getting (in no particular order):

1. 5.25" floppy drive in a machine that can read/write SD cards.
2. Drivewire copying from a local to a remote volume.
3. Flux devices like Kryoflux or Greaseweazel
4. MPI Interface
5. Pull ROM in floppy controller and use Y-cable
6. Something like a Gotek
7. Copy from 5.25" to 3.5" on CoCo, then use a 3.5" floppy in a machine
that can write SD cards.
8. Transfer the files using a terminal program.
9. Other?
10. Have a friend use one of the above.

For 7 and possibly 1 (5.25" USB floppy drives are as rare as hens' teeth),
you may have an issue with USB floppy drives. This could be circumvented by
using PC compatible formats on the CoCo through various tools.
It boils down to what you have access to and what you want to continue to
use later on. An MPI is extremely useful for things other than just
transferring files from the CoCo to an SD card. Since the CocoSDC doesn't
really like hot swapping the SD card, drivewire is a good solution. You may
find a Gotek or equivalent to be useful if you have other retro machines.
The flux devices are useful for copy protected disks.