[Coco] Unit tests on an 8 bit machine

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 23:15:20 EST 2023

On Sat, Dec 2, 2023 at 12:57 PM John Murphy via Coco
<coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> “all the other CPUs” it supports”??
> It only supports the 6809 and the Hitachi clone, the 6309.

But all those object formats! And input formats! And automatically
doing 6800->6809 source code conversion, if you ask it to!!

(They do come in handy, but they also make the code more complex.)

> “And ... it's a SEVEN pass assembler?”
> Not as far as I can tell. The docs only mention first and second passes.

As many as seven, if I recall correctly, depending on settings. It can
optimize offsets without hints.

> “but it uses Mercurial for source control”
> If you are only using it rather than hacking on it, that doesn’t really matter.

Ah, but he's hacking it.

> And source tarballs for every version going back to 2011 are on the www.lwtools.ca web page.

I understand where he's coming from. If I had time for a certain side
project that's still sitting out there waiting, I'd be writing my own,
along with my own emulator.

But then again, Joe H. Allen has found time to get the 6809 emulation
working on his EXORsim, and I was able to hack EXORsim to pretend to
do (not cycle-accurate) 6801 op-codes, so my need for writing my own
has significantly decreased.

> John Murphy

Joel Rees

http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html