[Coco] [sheldonlathe] Sheldon lathe

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Oct 26 06:34:26 EDT 2022

On 10/25/22 21:19, Eugene laroe wrote:
> The link is great but still have one question about how the speeds work is it pushed little for more speed Anda little more for more speed??
That wide belt gives it away, I had a similar drive based on the rpm of
the engine on a tote-goat back
in the middle '60's.

In that case, centrifugal force squeezed the sheeves together on the
motor shaft, and the driven sheeve
was spring loaded so it had about the same tension on the belt
regardless of how wide it was split. There's
a name for such a drive but at 88, the recall of that name fails
.
There wasn't enough pressure to start closing the driver sheeves at
engine idle, so that was its neutral gear.

I always described it as capable of 15 mph on flat ground, and about 3
mph climbing a pine tree. The diff was
engine rpm, about 4 grand from an old 3hp briggs on flat ground, to
around 3 grand digging a ditch with its
huge lugs on the back tire. Above 2 grand you moved or dug a ditch.

Here the stick controls the spacing between the sheeves.

Personally I much prefer a vfd and a 3 phase motor. But I'm your local
cnc guy when Jon Elson isn't looking. ;o)>