[Coco] MC6829 Memory Management Unit

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 01:58:03 EDT 2022

Yeah, call it a more thorough version of what the GIME does.

Several reasons it wasn't adopted widely –

(1) Timing was tight. You needed a 68B09 just to run at 1MHz unless you
used glue logic parts that would not be available until a couple of years
after Motorola published the design. (If these are not from the original
Motorola masks the timings may be less restrictive.)

That said, my memory is that you could gang 8 6829s together to have 32
tasks live in memory, waiting for the CPU.

(2) It really needed more signals from the CPU to get the fine level of
control you wanted if you were going that far. Those extra signals would
have required extra pins on the CPU package.

(3) Which pointed to wanting the thing integrated into the CPU package,
which begs the question of market. We can second-guess Motorola about that
now, but it would have required an existing player ready to dedicate two
years marketing a micro as a mini. And Motorola would have needed to be
ready to evolve the 6809 into the market for the 68000. That's a lot of
vision requirements.

I could go on. None of that is relevant now. It could definitely be a fun
project.