[Coco] . Gif

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Mar 24 10:27:14 EDT 2022

On Mar 24, 2022, at 9:19 AM, RETRO Innovations <go4retro at go4retro.com> wrote:

> Jim, "was an undergrad at University of Illinois in the '90s and witnessed part of the birth of Mosaic" Brain

Thank you for sharing those tidbits.

I first accessed the web via a text interface in the GEnie service on my CoCo, and also using a college mainframe I had access to via a friend's girlfriend's account. I recall downloading an audio snippet of a Monkees song from somewhere. I had no idea there were supposed to be pictures on it until I moved to Iowa July 1995 and used a SUN workstation at Microware and Netscape or whatever we had.

I recall we had quite the active list server back then, which also appeared on the Usenet newsgroups as … bit.listserv.coco? I think?