[Coco] . Gif

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Mar 24 10:18:17 EDT 2022

On 3/24/2022 8:38 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> Is this just normal “news getting facts incorrect,” or was GIF actually designed for the pre-web internet? I thought it was commissioned by or at least written for Compuserve?

Compuserve unveiled it in 1987, and it was designed for their benefit.

> It certainly pre-dates a web browser?

Indeed. In fact, HTML prior to the NCSA Mosaic browser did not have a
way to display graphics inline.  Marc Andreessen actually invented the
tag for Mosaic development
(https://thehistoryoftheweb.com/the-origin-of-the-img-tag/), and
supported GIF early in the process (before his tag, the GIF would be a
link like a web page link, and you would click on it and the graphic
would open in a new application).

Before this, those of us lucky enough to be on NSFNet (an actual early
stage of the Internet) would download GIF files using ftp and then
display them using our favorite GIF slideshow app.

Jim, "was an undergrad at University of Illinois in the '90s and
witnessed part of the birth of Mosaic" Brain