[Coco] CoCo 1 no longer powers on (white, rev f. board)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Mar 1 10:32:08 EST 2022

Ah, good 'ole percussive maintenance. In this case, it may not have been
as stupid as you think. You were having a problem with noise, smacked
it, and that more or less - very probably - showed you that it was power
supply related (that's just a guess of mine).

Now - I don't know what noise your were getting or seeing (unless you
posted about it earlier? I don't recall...) - but I suspect that
something in the power supply was likely causing it, and given that it
seems like you're not getting any power at all now - I'm thinking
something akin to a "loose wire" or something that broke free with the
impact (whether it's a visible thing or not, is a different question.

Maybe it was a cold solder joint (or just one letting go with age?) - or
maybe a broken wire (hidden under insulation, or inside the transformer,
or...?) - something of that nature.

The first place to start, though, imho - would be testing to see what
the voltage output from the transformer is, using a multimeter. Be very
careful doing this, of course, as there will be line voltage present (I
don't know your skill level - so forgive me if you're like, a retired
electrical engineer or something).

Then basically work from there (plug it back into the CoCo, follow the
service manual on testing the PSU - ie, there should be a test point
somewhere to see if you have the proper voltages, mainly 5 volts, for
the CoCo to work).

That fact that you're not even getting a click from the relay, though,
seems to indicate to me an open somewhere early in the PSU stage, so
have a good look at the schematic, and check voltages from just before
that point where it supplies power to the rest of the system (there will
likely be a final-stage capacitor just before then, right after the
(likely 7805-ish) voltage regulator, one leg hooked up to the output,
the other to ground (and it will probably be an electrolytic).

Again - this is all guesswork on my part; I don't have the service
manual or a schematic in front of me.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona
phoenixgarage.org
github.com/andrew-ayers