[Coco] Tim Lindner's CoCo font comparison with MAME fonts.

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Jul 21 23:52:24 EDT 2022

On 7/21/2022 10:45 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2022, at 10:43 PM, RETRO Innovations via Coco<coco at maltedmedia.com>  wrote:
>> They are just so far off.  Hard to believe that much error in 2022 on the emu.
> MAME is good for many arcade games, but I’ve always struggled with it for computer emulation. This certainly makes me think "if you can’t get the simple easy things right…"

I think that may be unfair.  In the early days, it's true that MESS (the
home computer portion of MAME) really only cared about the games aspect,
so it was by design.

But, more recently, the non game aspects of the codebase are getting
more attention, and the merge of MESS into MAME also helped. But, it's
only as good as the folks who add to it.  Given the MESS games focus for
many years, i think most of the platform devs went their own way (VCC,
XRoar, etc.).  Now, it plays catch up. But, hopefully it will reach
parity soon.

I worry more about the XROAR/VCC/OVCC efforts. This community is not as
large as some, and definitely not as large as the C64 community, and
that community has pretty much coalesced around VICE for all of the 8
bit machines (in additional the MESS/MAME instance).

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com