[Coco] Errors in Leventhal's 6809 Subroutines book?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 22:47:51 EST 2022

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 1:57 AM Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:

> Here is a typical issue with the Leventhal book. He has   clra   clrb   std ,s
> The first two lines are two cycles each but it could be:
>   ldd #0   std ,s
> where ldd #0 is three cycles.

That actually is not one I would consider an issue. The code is, after
all, intended to teach assembly language using the 6809 as the target.
And the assembly language it is presenting is the common vernacular,
intended to translate to other CPUs as much as possible more than to
show optimal 6809 techniques.

At least that's how I interpret the preface.

(Speaking of the preface, I wonder, if we contacted the publisher now,
would they respond? Or -- I vaguely recall a loose sheet of errata in
my copy, which I believe is far across the ocean now.)

> He frequently does math operations on a stack item instead of a memory location without explaining why the more complex routine was chosen.

As mentioned in the preface he is demonstrating "standard" parameter
passing techniques.

(I personally detest that standard. Makes for a vulnerable stack.)

> I sugest entering some of the code in EDTASM and then running it in Zbug to see if the code works as claimed.

If that's what you meant before, that if one used EDTASM the error
would be found quickly, then I apologize for being obtuse. I had
assumed you were thinking the assembler would throw syntax error
messages.

> Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>   On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 11:40 AM, michaelkline704 at gmail.com<michaelkline704 at gmail.com> wrote:   Good Point! I did that when I learned BASIC years ago. The cool thing about Adobe CC; you can usually make changes and resave the book.
> Michael

Joel Rees

http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html