[Coco] OS-9: Here we go again (see also: Coco and CoCofest)

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Aug 12 12:08:54 EDT 2022

In late 1999, Microware filed a lawsuit against Apple for their upcoming “OS 9” software. The official title, of course, was “Mac OS 9” but even Steve Jobs kept saying “You’ll love OS 9” or similar in his keynote.

The introduction of “Mac OS 9” basically buried Microware OS-9 on the internet. It became difficult to find OS-9 without adding specific keywords. You’d get buried in Mac search results. Folks wandered in to the comp.os.os9 newsgroup to ask Mac questions.

Fun times :)  Now that Mac OS 9 is long long gone, it’s easier to find OS-9 stuff again online.

However, today my Google “OS-9” news alert was triggered by … Apple Watch OS 9. Apparently that’s a thing that will be coming out soon, so I look forward to getting tons of news alerts about it. (Mac OS 9 recently had an anniversary, so for a few weeks my OS-9 news alerts were going off about that too.)

Similar:

The “Coco” animated movie has made it difficult to find CoCo websites (and VERY difficult to find YouTube videos).

And if you try to find “CoCoFest” online, you’ll see a newer event with that same title pops up at the top these days.

Gotta love it ;-)

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware