[Coco] What was used before EDTASM+?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Aug 2 18:09:34 EDT 2022

On 8/2/22 16:53, Allen Huffman via Coco wrote:
> I have been working on a series of blog articles about the original CoCo OS-9 release in the 1984 Radio Shack catalogs. This was also the year a stock-64K model appeared to be “New for 1984”. (Was this really the first time Radio Shack sold a 64K CoCo?)
>
> 1984 was also when DISK EDTASM first appeared.
>
> The ROM-Pak EDTASM+ has a 1981 copyright, and shows up in the 1982 Radio Shack Computer Catalog (RSC-6). I don’t see it listed in the previous 1981 edition.
>
> So what were folks using to write assembly in 1980-1982 before this came out? Hand assembly?
Probably, I've done it for 3 processors now and its not even difficult
if the machine has a hex monitor.
That is all a Quest Super Elf had and I wrote an automation preparation
controller for the tv station I
was at in 78-79.  That's an RCA 1802 processor. To say it was handy
would be an understatement,
it was in daily use yet in their control room when the whole studio
building burnt to the ground in
the late 90's. Close to 20 years. In a tv stations control room, that's
a couple eons. Then I did another
project for a radio station using Z-80 boards. Junk. When I found the
coco's in early '85, I was in hog
heaven with os9 v1.00.00, a real OS.

We've come a loooong ways since.

> --
> Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
> http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware
> http://www.PayPal.me/AllenHuffman.  http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)