[Coco] Max number of floppy drives with DOS

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Mon May 17 09:48:56 EDT 2021

On 5/17/21 8:36 AM, rietveld rietveld wrote:
> i have 4 single sided drives connected to my coco3 .
> If I buy 4 double sided drives instead will HDB DOS see them as DRIVE 0-7 ?
> Dont want to spend the money on the drives if i can only use DRIVEs 0-3 with them
>

> Sent from my BlackBerry Key2

Physically/electrically the CoCo disk controller can only operate 3
double sided drives.  The "fourth" drive select is hacked to the
standard side select line.  On the Disk Extended Color Basic firmware
side the code only allows for 4 single sided drives.  Two double sided
drives can be seen as 4 single sided drives by adjusting the drive
address table.

RGB-DOS the predecessor of HDB-DOS did not change the format enough to
allow more than 4 single sides to be seen by the operating system.  As
far as I know this was not changed.

OS-9 and NitrOS9 are coded differently.  The hardware is still limited
to 3 physical double sided drives or 4 single sided drives.  But double
sided can be accessed as double sided drives.

Bruce W.