[Coco] CoCo floppy disk subsystem

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri Jan 15 18:00:33 EST 2021

My feeling is that it would be worth the minor cost to try a 8877A chip in
the thing and then look for a newer controller if you're unhappy with its
reliability.  I used a 3022 controller for quite a few years and had no
reliability complaints before or after replacing the 1793 chip with the
8877.

(Note that any ?FS ERRORs are due to the ROM not keeping proper track of
the drive's head position, causing the drive to erroneously access Track 0
instead of the track it was supposed to be seeking.  This will happen very
occasionally regardless of what WD or Fujitsu controller chip is being
used, unless RSDOS (either version) is patched to fix this.  Especially
true if double-sided drives are being used with a modified drive mask
table.  These errors completely disappeared under ADOS, which was patched
for this.)

Art