[Coco] Pipelined 6809 microprocessor IP

Kevin Phillipson kevin.phillipson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:24:17 EST 2021

(Reposting to CoCoList instead of direct email)

Hi Walter!
We did not target the 6309 b/c we specifically are aiming for the 8/16bit
niche. Our target customer is someone designing a subblock on an SoC or a
mixed signal ASIC that needs a microprocessor/microcontroller with a small
footprint. If we were to add the hardware necessary to support the 6309 we
would increase our required die area and be stepping up into the 16/32bit
realm (ARM Cortex territory). And as you noted there is no compiler support
for the 6309.

Now I’m not discrediting the 6309. It’s a great CPU. It just doesn’t fit
our requirements. We need to be small footprint, efficient and have
compiler support. The 6809 is near perfect for this. And the fact that it’s
~5x faster clock for clock means it would probably be faster than a 6309 at
the same clock rate anyway. And being capable of around 1GHz in a modern
semiconductor manufacturing process, it will have plenty of horsepower.

Having said all that, I'll never say never to 6309 support, but I have to
focus on finishing the 6809 ISA first and the big verification effort that
will follow. By verification I mean a full professional self checking
Verilog testbench that will run all the instructions with all possible
input variations. This verification will really make the IP attractive to
professional IC design companies.

Lastly, to answer your question about bus cycle vs clock cycle. The 6809
manuals list bus cycles. One bus cycle equals 4 clock cycles or 1
quadrature clock (E or Q). The Turbo9 does not use specially generated
clocks. One bus cycle is one clock, but the CPU is somewhat decoupled from
the bus via the pre-fetch instruction queue and pipelining making
instruction timing less predictable, but much faster.

Thanks for checking out our project!
Kevin Phillipson