[Coco] WANTED: MUSICTRS80 Code and Data

Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey exile at weylan-yutani.com
Thu Oct 15 09:44:25 EDT 2020

Dear fellow CoConauts,
I hope someone here can help chase down an article/code.

68 Micro Journal published a letter from Clell Dildy in the March 1982
issue (volume 4, number 3 pp. 35-37) with 6809 assembly source code for
MUSICTRS80, a 4-voice DAC sound player, along with music data for John
Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads".
The Internet Archive and SWTPC archives have copies of the 68 Micro
Journal issue, but they are very low-resolution and very hard to
read/decipher to transcribe the code from - even by hand - without much
guessing leading to many possible errors.

The words are fine but the
code and data are almost unreadable at scale, and too blurry to use if
zoomed up.

If someone has that code and data and could post it here or on the CoCo
archive for everyone, that would be most excellent.

Or, if someone has that issue of the magazine and could take high-
resolution photos of those pages and send them to me or post them on
the archive ... I could then reconstruct the code and data from there.

For myself, this is an interesting historical artifact for two reasons:

1. It's the earliest 4-voice sound code/system I have found for the
6809/CoCo so far - and seems to have been the inspiration for many
others such as those later published commercially and in the Rainbow.

2. It's based directly off of the 1977 Byte magazine article by Hal
Chamberlin (for 6502/KIM-1) which was a seminal article in the entire
field of digital music.

Thanks for reading this far and I hope someone can help resurrect this
particular artifact for the community.

--
Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey <exile at weylan-yutani.com>
Weylan-Yutani Corporation