[Coco] Looking for joystick & hi-res joystick reference / theory manuals

Rick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 08:31:21 EDT 2020

Hi,

IANADW (not a driver writer), but I just wrote up the hardware side of
the hires interface in unnecessary detail, so I can tell you what is
going into the CoCo, at least.

The hires interface accepts a timing pulse from the cassette out, this
plus the joystick's output voltage creates a square wave who's pulse
length represents joystick position. The CoCo only sees 0 and infinity
(63), and the HiRes code needs to count or time this transition (as well
as provide the cassout trigger pulse).

There is some overscan - on my bench the CoCo cursor doesn't move off
the edge until the pulse has grown about 20%, and it's at far right at
about 80%. That's great for mice, less desk space used. Not sure about
other controllers.

-rick