[Coco] Booting Nitros9.

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon May 11 03:06:37 EDT 2020

OS9 could easily be built into ROM. It may be practical for an embedded system where the operating system never gets updated. But you will almost always need some sort of read/write media for a typical system so you might as well just boot the operating system from that media.

Another drawback of using ROMs is that they, and other forms of non-volatile storage, usually have slower access times than RAMs. So you may limit yourself on the maximum CPU speed whereas loading the system into RAM generally means it can run faster.

-Dave Philipsen