[Coco] pyDriveWire Q

Al Hartman alhartman6 at verizon.net
Sun May 3 15:30:24 EDT 2020

Gene,

A Gentleman named Terry Trapp has been working on a replacement for the SALT chip using discrete components. Ed Snider has also developed a circuit he is using in his upcoming CoCo 2+ replica computer.

-[ Al ]-

On 5/3/2020 12:00:11 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
On Saturday 02 May 2020 21:58:50 Walter Zambotti wrote:

> Gene
>
> I didn't read all the replies. But I have copies of rxtx libraries if
> you need.  They are easy to install.

Yes, an updated version of it was in the debian 7 repo. It was the phony
error message that sent me on a wild goose chase. Seems with this new
mobo, the usb port assignments were scrambled and it was trying to use a
usb port that was already committed to either heyu or the ups. But the
error reporting sucks dead toads thru soda straws, complaining about
rxtx when the real error was that the configured port was busy. I know
its plugged in as I can clear dmesg, go down and unplug the fdti adaptor
from the hub at the coco, and plug it back in, come back up here, read
dmesg again, and edit the dw config to put it on the new port udev puts
it on when I plug it back in, and restart dw on that port, but the coco
isn't there. I am beginning to think I've blown a 3rd salt chip in that
machine and I don't have any more of them. dw can get into a feedback
loop, which heats up the s.a.l.t. and burns up the s.a.l.t chip under
the right conditions. There is zero traffic showing in dw, or in the
leds of the FDTI adapter. I need to drag my new digital 1 GHz scope in
and trace it out again, but I had other things to do in the garage today
since the weather was nice, and another project to get to involving some
steel cutting and welding if the weather is good tommorrow. So it could
be a few days before I get back to the coco.

> Walter
>
> On 2020-04-30 03:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Drivewire has died, can't find the RXTX libraries
> >
> > So trying to make pyDriveWire run, but there seems to be a total
> > lack of install and configure hot-to's. recommended to run it with
> > pypy, which has been installed, but the failure msg is, shall wwe
> > say, less than helpfull.
> > gene at coyote:/CoCo/pyDriveWire$ pypy pyDriveWire
> > File "pyDriveWire", line 3
> > python=$(which pypy)
> > ^
> > SyntaxError: Unknown character
> > That don't mean jack to me.
> >

> > Anybody have a clue where to find this stuff?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
- Louis D. Brandeis