[Coco] Tandy Color Computer 3 RND Function

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:01:36 EDT 2020

What you're doing is called "Monte Carlo simulation". It's been around
quite a while, and can indeed be done on a modern PC. BASIC comes from the
days of linear congruential pseudorandom number generators (some aren't
bad, but then there's the infamous RANDU from the 360/370 Scientific
Subroutine Library). A lot of work's been done since then. Nowadays they
accumulate "entropy", measuring things (often having to do with I/O) and
using those values as a source of randomness.

There are a number of tests for random number generators--there has to be,
because any individual test can be faked out. A bucket test can be faked
out by a "random number generator" that just returns the value of a
counter. A range test like the original poster's can be faked out by a
"random number generator" that alternates returning a number close to 0 and
a number close to 1.