[Coco] Switch-a-roo oddity

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 16:18:30 EDT 2020

Thanks to the infamous microscopic virus that's going around I am spending some time at home doing some real Spring cleaning. After organizing some of my stuff, I finally had the CoCo 3, Jason's Switch-a-roo and the video converter all in the same spot, so I decided to try out my Switch-a-roo with my CoCo 3.

I had run tests using the Switch-a-roo, but this is the first time that I hooked it up to the CoCo 3.

I connected the Switch-a-roo to the video converter, and the converter's HDMI out to the TV. I connected the Switch-a-roo's RGB cable to the CoCo 3 and power to all three devices.

I moved the COMP switch on the Switch-a-roo away from the COMP setting.

Finally I powered up.

The TV displayed a very nice and sharp "No signal" message.

I checked the converter's settings: NTSC (I'm in the Chicago area) and SCART as source.

After testing different power sources for the Switch-a-roo's USB power and making sure that the CoCo and the converter were powered on, I began to run out of ideas. I reconnected the CoCo to the TV's composite IN and it worked fine (albeit the text was a bit fuzzy). I disconnected the CoCo's composite out and retested. No joy, same "No signal".

Then by chance I decided to connect the Switch-a-roo's composite IN to the CoCo. When I powered up the CoCo the ubiquitous green screen came on!! Eureka!!!!

I moved the Switch-a-roo's switch to COMP and still got the green image, but a bit fuzzy. Moved the switch back and I got the crispy black text.

So what is going on? Do I need t have both the composite and the RGB outputs (of the CoCo) connected to the Switch-a-roo?

Thank you! Salvador