[Coco] Melted Keyboard Repair

Kevin Becker kevin at kevinbecker.org
Mon Feb 3 22:15:54 EST 2020

So I took a razor and clipped all the plastic welds holding the
keyboard in place.  Quite a few had broken off already, which I assume
was the source of the issue.  The good news is that my mylar membrane
is in great shape.  The faulty keys were due to the small springs that
press against the mylar coming loose on the problematic keys.  Probably
because the broken plastic welds allowed the keyboard to flex enough
for them to get loose.  The rattling sound has me really puzzled
though.  I'm sure the springs were part of it, but the majority seems
to have come from a bunch of small metal balls loose inside the
keyboard.  I think there were 9 of them.  They are much smaller than a
BB, more like the ball in a ballpoint pen, but a bit bigger than
those.  Does anyone know what purpose they could possibly serve?