[Coco] Implications of the Speed Up Poke

Alex Evans varmfskii at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 13:49:47 EST 2020

the thing that is given first (row?) determines what part of memory is
refreshed. IIRC on most 8-bitters, the least significant part of the
address is generally passed first, so if we assume that our memory is
using memory with 8-bit row addresses, then accessing 256 consecutive
addresses will refresh all of memory.  My experience with the highest
speed poke on a CoCo2 is that I never had any detectable memory loss
even with very long runs (hours). Of course the fact that the part of
memory your program is actually using will definitely be refreshed
reduces the change that you are going to notice the effects.