[Coco] CoCo 1 troubles

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 13:18:49 EST 2020

Hi all,

I unpacked my CoCo 1 for the Glenside CCC Virtual reunion. I have the following hardware:

CoCo 1, 64K model # 26-3001, s/n 0050536

Floppy drive with controller model 20-3022

I found that the CoCo wasn't in the best of condition. Here is what I found:

Mechanical: The cartridge door has lost its "spring action". When I plug in a cartridge and then remove it, the cartridge stays open instead of snapping back into the closed position.

CoCo: This is one is weird, and I can't be sure to describe it concisely. When the floppy controller cartridge is plugged in, I seem to randomly lose keystrokes. This happens often enough that it seems that some of the keyboard keys aren't responding. I thought it might be a KB problem, but the keys sometimes do respond and when the floppy controller is NOT plugged it, the keys respond all of the time.

In some cases, the keys bounce, but I am not sure if that is the CoCo or me who am inadvertently pressing the chiclet keys more than once.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to narrow down the problem of the non responding keys?

Anything I can do to get back the springy behavior of the cart cover?

As always, thank you! Salvador