[Coco] Create Nitros9 DSK on SDC

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Aug 27 09:08:18 EDT 2020

I have found a method for creating large images ie. vhd type images on the SDC
after modifying
a program sent to me by Darren.
In essence, a new disk is created via SDC-DOS by indicating the desired name and
the number
of sectors on the image. The Basic program writes to the "last sector" on the
disk, thus creating it.
Using the latest NitrOS-9 sdc release, with dmode set for sid=1, sct=12, t0s=12, and
cyl="whatever" needed to get the total number of required sectors.
You now have a new OS-9 disk that needs formatting. So I used Format to create
the actual disk
structure but unfortunately the image contains lots of junk as Format does not
erase the sectors.
So, I erased sectors $264-276 using ded and then ran Cobbler. The OS9Boot file
was created
but I kept getting 207 errors, not enough memory on my 512k Coco3. So no "T34".
So with the NitrOS-9 release disk in SDC drive0 and the new disk in drive1, I
ran a Basic program
to transfer track 34 from the bootable disk to the new one.
I then booted from the release disk and ran   dsave -s24 /SD1 ! shell -p   to
transfer all the directories
and files to the new disk.
The new disk which has $5A000 sectors booted into NitrOS-9 v3.3.0 via the DOS
command. This
is the same sized disk as the .vhd used with MESS and VCC but without the Basic
partition. I can
used a full .vhd drive with both OS-9 and Basic partitions by placing a version
of HDBDOS on the
SDC card and starting that DOS with the RUN at 6 command with HDBDOS in memory slot 6.

Create a new disk
10 PRINT "NEW IMAGE FILE NAME":INPUT N$
20 DRIVE 1,N$,NEW
30 INPUT "SIZE (SECTORS)";SS
40 ST=SS/&H10000:SU=INT(ST):SV=(ST-SU)*&H100:SX=SS-SU*&H10000-SV*&H100
50 POKE &HFF40,&H43
60 POKE&HFF49,SU
70 POKE&HFF4A,SV
80 POKE&HFF4B,SX
90 POKE &HFF48,&HA1
100 PRINT "ALLOCATING SECTORS..."
110 S=PEEK(&HFF48):IF S=1 THEN 110
120 IF S>127 THEN PRINT "I/O ERROR!"
130 POKE &HFF48,&HD0
140 POKE &HFF40,0

Transfer track 34 so DOS works
20 DIM A$(128),B$(128)
30 FOR S=1TO18
40 DSKI$ 0,34,S,A$,B$:DSKO$ 1,34,S,A$,B$
50 NEXT

Robert