[Coco] Create Nitros9 DSK on SDC

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Fri Aug 21 01:04:31 EDT 2020

The CoCo SDC does not extend a disk like an emulator can, so disk
image files have to be full-sized. To the best of my knowledge, you
can't make an image larger than 40-track, double-sided using SDC-DOS
(and I don't recall there being a way to make a new image from
(Nitr)OS-9).

.DSK images are always the same size when created by SDC-DOS, 157.5K;
they're only ever 35 tracks.

The way to create a DSDD image is using DRIVEx,"DISKNAME.SDF",NEW++
(that gets you 40 tracks, double sided).

Once the disk image is created, you can boot NitrOS9 and format the
new disk (just as you still need to DSKINI a disk image you created in
SDC-DOS) just like formatting any other floppy.

If you're talking about the giant super-floppies we use as hard
drives, the simple answer is, "you can't". You can make an image with
Toolshed, using the command:

    os9 format DSK_NAME.VHD -n"My Disk" -e -t29126

the -t29126 tells it to make the disk (which is otherwise exactly like
a single-sided floppy) have 29126 tracks on it, which makes it almost
the largest possible disk which still uses only 1 sector per cluster
-- the disk is 127.95 megs.

The -e makes the disk image full-sized, which lets the CoCoSDC not choke on it.

Then just copy the image to your SD card.