[Coco] "Who came up with pyDriveWire ?"

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sun Aug 9 14:49:31 EDT 2020

On 8/9/2020 3:37 AM, didier at aida.org wrote:
> if running an application means spending 3 days trying to modify the
> system to get something working
> there is a serious problem

It may be a serious problem for the person trying to install, but
perhaps not for the author:

  * Am I trying to design a tool for lots of people to use, or is my
    attempt just another option to consider?
  * Are there lots of people having the same issue?
  * If so, do I plan to support it or change to accommodate it?

I stand by my original point.  You are free to choose to install the app
(or not, if you can't or find it too hard to get it to do so in your
environment, but casting concerns about the choice of language is
overstepping.

> btw I also tried to install on linux and got the same result: java
> errors and python sending error messages...
>
> I run C programs since 1984 and never had any problems...
I'm sorry, but I think you've just been lucky.  Trying to get old (or
even very new) C apps running on Linux or Windows can be just as
frustrating (missing libs, GCC version not new enough, too new, libs get
installed in the wrong place, because they were hardcoded to be put
special places on a different distro, etc.  I'm glad you have had good
luck, but I hardly think that's a resounding success for C in general.

> I installed that for liber809 and discovered that it was as unfinished
> product totally unsuable...

Boise I think is on here and can comment on that.  I think it is indeed
a proof of concept, not a finished product.

Jim