[Coco] coco sdc?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Apr 29 12:40:33 EDT 2020

On Wednesday 29 April 2020 11:53:15 Allen Huffman wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Its a 2Gig sd card, so nitros9 would use a cluster size of 32
> > sectors. NBD. Theoretically, up to 4GB can be handled by nitros9.
>
> I have been using a 128MB image, as large as I can make fit without
> reclustering, to avoid problems with disk tools th don’t understand
> reclustering. I doubt I’ll ever fill it!

Format, if it can run, handles that automatically, always has.  And
rbf.mn can handle it since I put that stuff back in and fixed one bug
after Darling took it out in one of his so-called "Christmas" presents.
More like sabotage IMNSHO. Maybe he found the bug and rather than fixing
it, a 1 byte fix, he took it all out.  Whatever.

My 1st hd has a bit over 400 megs formatted for os9, leaving room for
nearly 1500 vdisks, runs a 4 sector cluster. My 2nd hd is also a
1Gigger, runs a 16 sector cluster with zero problems. All formatted
before format started puking on my system. I'm out of system ram now,
nitros9 eats it like M&M's. One could probably fix an empty disk with
dEd but it would be tricky. I did it to floppies while testing that
rbf.mn for nitros9 decades ago. If I ever get this working, format will
be the next project I'll attack, as make it allocate its own 8k buffer
for workspace. Its  not that hard, I do it for a ramdisk up to 1.7 megs
in myram.  And when you don't need the ramdisk, deiniz it and get every
every byte back for other uses. No reboot required.  I like to write
stuff that Just Works.  In fact Allen, if you can find a copy of the
original, and commented src for format, that could be done 2 or 3 months
quicker.

> SDC can mount two virtual disks at a time so I can do copies between
> floppy and HD, or HD and HD, etc. I mount before I boot but there is
> supposedly an OS-9 tool to mount, etc. so you could stay in OS-9.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis