[Coco] Can I fix an old monitor?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Mon Apr 27 11:09:25 EDT 2020

Two things that come to mind:

First, look for capacitors that are swollen or leaky.  Though I don't know
that the symptom there would be dying after a few minutes rather than just
not working at all.

The dying after a few minutes sounds more characteristic of a chip
overheating.  Carefully feel if any chip has gotten very hot after the
thing dies.  (Be careful to avoid high voltages!)  That chip would be a
prime suspect.  You might time how long it takes for the thing to die after
you turn it on, and see if holding an ice cube in a plastic bag against the
suspect chip lengthens this time significantly.

Good luck!

Art