[Coco] Accessing Vsync & Hsync interrups from Nitros9

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Apr 12 21:19:54 EDT 2020

On Sunday 12 April 2020 20:45:11 Walter Zambotti wrote:

> VRN and VDG are loaded at boot but the descriptors /Nil & /V1 are not.
>
> I load them at run time.
>
> I'll try and build a boot file with them included.
>
> But it has been a while since I last built a boot file is there a good
> guide available.
>
> I remember the last time I was building a boot file was not putting
> the boot file together but
> getting it into the same boot sectors as the previous boot file.
>
> Walter

This is a symptom of os9 NOT having a way to overwrite track 34 of the
disk. Because I haven't been able to run a format command in around 20
years, I am stuck doing my boot disk building on an already formatted
disk by deleting EVERYTHING on the disk including track 34.  To that end
I wrote a utility that generates an FD-sector most anyplace free on the
disk that includes the track 34 area, Its available on my web page as
KRNL-2-DIR, making that area of the disk both visible and deleteable,
which because deleting it also clears those FAT bits, track 34 can then
be rewritten with whatever os9gen wants to put there.

And what was an eyeopener to me was that I had rebuilt about 15 new boot
disks that all failed before it dawned on me that the boot track was NOT
being rewritten by os9gen, but that os9gen also was NOT reporting that
error. Anyway, that lead to my writing KRNL_to_DIR, which is available
at my sig link plus Genes-os9-stf/ as:
KRNL_to_DIR  KRNL_to_DIR.B09  KRNL_to_DIR.readme

Help yourself.

> On 2020-04-13 04:46, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> > And, along Barry’s line of thinking - are LOADing any of these after
> > booting? Or is VRN, etc. as well as CoVDG, etc. already in your
> > OS9boot file?
> >
> > L. Curtis Boyle
> > curtisboyle at sasktel.net
> >
> >> On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:31 PM, Barry Nelson
> >> <barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> You are probably running out of space on the 64k system page. When
> >> you open and allocate the memory for a VDG window, there is not
> >> enough memory left on the system page for /nil to initialize. You
> >> could try setting up your boot to start with a console terminal
> >> that is a VDG window and try removing other windows or drivers that
> >> you don’t need.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis