[Coco] How many still breadboard?

Jay Coleman jeremiah.l.coleman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 03:13:40 EDT 2020

I'm still mostly a beginner.  I tend to use solderless breadboards to proof ideas or portions of projects, then PCB for completion.  For example, to make sure I've got the pins and protocols worked out on microcontroller interfacing, or that a particular circuit works as expected.

I've definitely found quality is worth it. I have a couple pretty good boards that pretty much just work.  The $6 amazon specials are only useful for holding headers for soldering or creating puzzles.  When I do happen to have an issue, having a scope really helps for finding borderline connections (along with 10,001 other things that make me wonder how I ever got by without one).

Saw an idea on Hackaday, I think, using machine pin headers on a PCB in a breadboard layout.  Said to have better connections.  I might try that eventually.

I have done a little wire wrap.  Been actually wanting to move more in that direction.  Just need to convince myself of the obvious, that I rarely dissassemble stuff anyway :).  I need to work on my technique, but I haven't found it hard to pick up.  Also been thinking of using dead bug style for something, just for kicks.

Vaguely related, can anyone recommend a U.S. based inexpensive PCB fab, in the vein of pcbway?  I'd really much rather keep my business here, but the prices I've found so far were flat out of my reach.  I've ended up etching my own again, for now, which slows things down a ton.

Jay