[Coco] gcc6809: history + current information

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Mon Oct 21 16:40:11 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-21 2:17 p.m., James Ross wrote:
> With the recent interesting comments about gcc6809, out of curiosity if anyone knows this info and would like to chime in, that would great:
>
> - what is the history of gcc6809?
> - Is there an "official" gcc6809 repository site, with the source?
> - Are there instructions on how to recreate it?
> - Can it be compiled on and for Windows?

The history is murky at best. For a while a fellow by the name of Brian
Dominy was maintaining it but he hasn't released anything recently, at
least as far as I'm aware. A while back, I forward ported it to a newer
version of gcc that actually builds cleanly on 64 bit systems and there
have been a few bug fixes since then. I also modified it to use lwtools
instead of as6809. There is a patch and some very basic build
instructions shipped with the lwtools source code. (See
lwtools.projects.l-w.ca)

I have no particular interest in developing it further, mostly because
trying to do anything with the gcc internals is migraine inducing.

As far as any more "official" source, I'm not aware of one.