[Coco] Devastated. Long term OVCC project falls short

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Oct 21 09:22:14 EDT 2019

On Monday 21 October 2019 08:36:06 James Jones wrote:

> The standard refers to two kinds of environments a C program can run
> in:
>
>    - a "hosted environment", one with an underlying operating system
>    - a "freestanding environment", without an OS. In a freestanding
>    environment, there's only a small set of library functions one can
> count on having (and hence only a small set of the standard header
> files), and not all types need be supported. What exactly happens upon
> return from main is implementation-defined.
>
> For gcc6809, we're talking a freestanding environment, unless someone
> does a LOT of work.

Chuckle, I note the caps. By free-standing one could assume an embedded
system that once launched, probably never returns.  The coder would have
to assume he is responsible for everything, including scanning the
keyboard for more input.  And before you know it, he had to write a
complete os. Makes one realize that os-9 was indeed, way ahead of its
time. But then you knew that when you were helping to write it. The rest