[Coco] looking for latest toolshed location

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Nov 29 20:00:53 EST 2019

On Friday 29 November 2019 18:34:55 Robert Gault wrote:

> That 4.4.4e was a typo on my part. I meant 4.3.4e. In any case, at
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/drivewireserver/files/
> it says that "Linux and *BSD users can double click DW4UI.sh (You may
> need to edit the permissions to make this file executable)."
>
> I assume that file is included in the DriveWire4.zip file on the site.
> If not, I have a copy of that file.

I've long since made it executable from a bash shell.

What I am upset about is not drivewire, but sourceforge's hiding of the
src for nitros9.  And I'm not talking about that dated tarball
sourceforge shows you, but won't let you have but the tarball those
dsk's were made from. At 3.3.0, all the disk descriptors are broken so
those I use are copied over the built ones, so my mb script just works,
so thats one set of wheels I don't have to re-invent everytime I update
whats on the 2 hard drives on my coco.  I might add that the mb script
itself is a special for my system, erasing a disk clean since I haven't
been able to format a floppy in 2 decades or more, so I just clean up
the already formattted disk and make it look like a freshly formatted
disk to os9gen.  This includes running KRNL-2-DIR and deleting the
resultant boot track file since os9gen checks the FAT and won't write a
new boot track unless it is cleared. I fought that bug for 5 years
trying to make an autoboot from the hard drive boot, but os9gen skips
that in total silence. I only confirmed it was not being rewritten after
I wrote KRNL-2-DIR, and then vfy, and found that after os9gen had made
me a shiny new boot with the scsi boot code and found the floppy version
of boot was still in my new boot.

Comments from that discovery weren't for public viewing, and definitely
not safe for work.  TBT, os9gen is just reacting to finding it can't
allocate those sectors, but it would have been nice if it reported
that "error".

But I don't publish those descriptors because to anyone else with
non-identical drives, they would be just as broken as the distro
versions at their default settings.

Basically, accurate descriptors for your system disks is the users
responsibility. And I don't see a way around that since 90% of us with
hard drives simply used what we had.

Me, I had a pair of 1GB seagate barracuda's in scsi-II flavor left from a
failed amiga system. Both are still spinning, must have 220k + spinning
hours on them by now. They were new in '89, 30 years ago, had about a
years rest until I bought a new scsi controller from Mark, and about 2
years rest while my basement was ankle deep in demo hammer debris from
installing a drainage system that actually works.

Lesson to the folks watching power consumption: Drives that get powered
down are drives that die. Which is worth more, the 2 watt hours to spin
the drive, or your lost data...

Thanks Robert.

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett