[Coco] lets play canyon climber from floppy disk ( 8 inch floppy disk)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Nov 6 19:51:02 EST 2019

On Wednesday 06 November 2019 18:18:35 Arthur Flexser wrote:

> As we alarmingly learned
> <https://www.cbsnews.com/news/whos-minding-the-nuclear-weapons/> in
> 2014, the US military has been using 8-inch floppy disks in an
> antiquated '70s computer to receive nuclear launch orders from the
> President. Now, the US strategic command has announced that it has
> replaced the drives with a "highly-secure solid state digital storage
> solution," Lt. Col. Jason Rossi told *c4isrnet.com
> <https://www.c4isrnet.com/air/2019/10/17/the-us-nuclear-forces-dr-stra
>ngelove-era-messaging-system-finally-got-rid-of-its-floppy-disks/>* .
> https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/18/us-military-nuclear-missiles-flopp
>y-disks/
>
> I suppose we can rest a bit easier now that they are no longer using
> these floppies in the missile silos!  Wonder if they replaced them on
> account of the rosette problems Gene mentioned.
>
> Art
'twouldn't surprise me Art, but please recall that the military has an
ironclad rule that when repairing any bit of failed equipment, that only
OEM parts are to be used, regardless of how much better it might work if
todays parts could be used. Same rules for AEC stuff, which is all
frozen at about 1962 technology, meaning pig pass transistors in power
supplies are frozen forever in germainium transistor technology. My
youngest is doing exactly that sort of stuff, searching every graveyard
electronics place on the planet to find parts to repair that stuff. In
one case paying nearly $2000 for a part that I used dozens of fixing car
radios and billed The customer $1.55 each in those times.  Then it has
to undergo the same environmental tests it had to pass at the factory
and get a passing grade before they can ship it back to where it came
from.

Heckel your congress critters to do 2 things. First make it legal to use
a newer tech, far better specced part, and 2, that someone with at least
a C.E.T. card in their card carrier, actually does the hot iron work and
signs off on it that it was properly done including redrawing the
schematic so it was accurate to what went back out the door to ups.

That right there would save the AEC and military at least a billion a
year.  And when the infant mortality has been fixed, they'd have far
more dependable equipment.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis